A few other facts about Hispanic/LatinX population in this country:
- According to the 2019 Census Bureau there are 60.5 million Hispanic folk in this country, making up 18.5% of the total US population.
- Hispanics are the 2nd fastest growing ethnic group in the US.
- Two-thirds of the Hispanic/LatinX population is US born.
It is saddening to me that with these facts and statistics, we still find brown bodies at risk in this country. They are labeled as ‘lazy’ even though they are the most hard-working people I have ever known.
In this racially divided country, I invite us to do all we can to support our Hispanic/LatinX siblings and stand in solidarity with them. We can celebrate with them by:
- Supporting local Hispanic/LatinX businesses and restaurants,
- Partnering with Hispanic/LatinX leaders in our communities and support them in their advocacy work,
- Seeking to ensure equity for our Hispanic/LatinX siblings in the church and in our communities.
- Stand up with and speak up against any injustice we witness against our Hispanic/LatinX siblings or any other marginalized identities.
Beloveds, God calls us to be agents of love and acceptance, grace and forgiveness, hope and healing in this world. Let us continue to do so, even if it comes at the cost of our privileges and securities. God calls us to humble ourselves, to be servant leaders and be willing to be last in this world. Find simple ways to acknowledging the pain we cause to other people, as citizens of this country, simple ways to support our Hispanic/LatinX siblings. May God help each one of us as we find ways to support, to give and to advocate.